Edinburgh Napier University Research Fellow Fixed term contract – 36/48 months
Organisation: Napier University Edinburgh
Job location: Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Full time – Fixed term contract – 36/48 months
We are seeking two postdoctoral researchers for 36 and 48 months to undertake research and contribute to groundbreaking work on high-performance multi-sensory data transmission and synchronised signal reconstruction from multiple sources, for use with real-time applications in order to enable mixed reality shared social experiences covering audio, visual and haptics (AVH) computing topics.
The work undertaken is highly sensitive to bandwidth optimisation, latency reduction, caching, synchronization, high quality rendering and overall real-time architecture to optimally orchestrate AVH signals critical to providing an immersive, responsive and enjoyable next generation social online experience scaling from individuals to large groups.
The work is an integral part of CAROUSEL+, an ambitious four-year project funded by the European programme Horizon 2020, through the FET Proactive Emerging Paradigms and Communities call (FETPROACT-EIC-07-2020) in the topic of Artificial Intelligence for extended social interaction. The project aims to empower visceral group online social interaction through virtual and hybrid reality settings (XR) and develop digital characters to interact autonomously with a group of people in a meaningful way.
The Research Fellow will be expected to contribute world-class competence in high-throughput sensory data transfer and multi-source reconstruction for immersive social experiences. Part of the role is to support the design and development of an overall network infrastructure that incorporates low-latency sensor ingest algorithms for AVH, to enable truly immersive shared experiences over a network of connected XR devices. Novel work will be disseminated in articles for technical journals or conferences.
The Research Fellow is expected to liaise and coordinate activities with other partners, including: DFKI (DE), MPI (DE), Aalto University (FI), Grassroots Arts and Research UG (DE), VIVITnet (FR) and Napier University (UK). There are also several industry partners involved in the project: Facebook (US), Varjo (US/FI), Dimensional Imaging Ltd (US/UK), Hibernian Community Foundation (UK), University of Queensland (AU), Edinburgh University (UK), Max Planck Institute (MPI).
What are we looking for
- PhD in a Computer Science related topic
- Publications in high-quality conferences and journals
- Experience in real-time optimisation techniques and software development, especially related to data transfer and throughput
- Experience of working in a research environment
- Experience in multidisciplinary work
- Experience of working on synchronising real-time, high-frequency data over a network of connected devices for software projects
- Experience of working with haptics technology for software projects
- Experience of working with audio data for software projects
- Experience of working with real-time rendering for software projects
- Experience of working on reducing network latency for software projects
- Experience of working with camera data for software projects related to computer vision
Please see the full job description here : https://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/CDT227/research-fellow
Benefits we offer
In return, we offer a great working environment where we support ambition, recognise achievement and offer an attractive benefit package. This includes a generous pension scheme, professional development opportunities, discounted access to onsite sports facilities and a wide range of other staff discounts.
- Closing date: 21st February (at 11.59pm)
- The University is committed to inclusion, demonstrated through our work in respect of our diversity awards and accreditations and holds Disability Confident, Carer Positive and Stonewall Scotland Diversity Champion status.
- More details can be found here : https://www.napier.ac.uk/about-us/university-governance/equality-and-diversity-information
- Type Full-time